lundi 11 février 2008

Where this project come from?

Hi everyone my name is Ronan and I am an Linux/Ubuntu user.
I installed this Operating System some weeks ago.I was so proud to succeed his installation(I have an economic background and I am not used to use technical software) that I wanted to print a cover to put on it.
After making some research I was quite impressed to find very few covers of Ubuntu.
Actually I was looking for one of the version 7.1 "Gutsy Gibbon" and one for the 6.06 "The Dapper Drake".

I finally found some of them,

Gutsy Gibbon cover is available on :
-classical one for version 7.1

For "The Dapper Drake":
-people one for version 6.06


I am going to tell you a secret the first version of Ubuntu I installed was the 6.06 whereas it was already obsolete and I was supposed to take the version 7.1.
What made me do this choice?
The answer is because I am quite silly and found that "The Dapper Drake" was a better name than "Gutsy Gibbon".
Actually some days before and after chatting with some of my friends I burnt a cd of the version 7.1 and put it on.
So as I can say to my own experience "don't make a silly choice when you know that this is a silly choice.
Because of this reason(choosing a version because of its attractive name) I really think that some people are interested in the design of the cover.

As an example I could take the computer books from the O'reilly edition:

Sources:
http://www.oreilly.fr/couvertures/2841774627.jpg
http://www.oreilly.fr/couvertures/284177077X.jpg
http://www.oreilly.fr/couvertures/2841773477.jpg
http://www.oreilly.fr/couvertures/2841772292.jpg

I don't know anything(actually no I correct quite annything) to computers but just because of the front page of the O'Reilly edition I would be ready to have all of these books just in order to get all the animals.
I really like the concept of Linux and I really would like to contribute to the Ubuntu community.
That is why I would to contribute by providing some great cd covers of Ubuntu.

You could tell me ok but why don't you take the one you just show us before?

I am gonna drive you to the answer.

Here are the names of the last version of Linux Ubuntu:

-Ubuntu 4.1 named: Warty Warthog
-Ubuntu 5.04 named: Hoary Hedgehog
-Ubuntu 5.1 named: Breezy Badger
-Ubuntu 6.06 named: Dapper Drake
-Ubuntu 6.1 named: Edgy Eft
-
Ubuntu 7.04 named: Feisty Fawn
-Ubuntu 7.1 named: Gutsy Gibbon
-Ubuntu 8.04 named: Hardy Heron

As you can see 8 versions 8 names of animals and no attractive covers for all of them.
I wanna say let's make this world a better place by offering more covers for the distribution of Ubuntu.
Actually I am not an artist and I don't think even with some time to be able to draw something "eatable".
But I know how to make a platform where you can freely download some covers and I agree to update this platform as soon and as much as I can.
That's why I am looking for artists(from beginners to expert) who want to show what they are up to.
I will put online their work on these covers and making them some advertisement if they want(such as a link to their website or gallery,presentation of the drawer etc etc).

Aucun commentaire: